Dec 24 2008

Rebate Card Best Used With Paypal?

I had a Staples Rebate Visa Card worth $15 after I bought a nice paper shredder. When I tried to use it, I found that it was quite the hassle to utilize it as a credit card with cash value.

1. If I wanted to buy something that costs more than $15, I couldn’t use it.
  2. If I wanted to order something online and send it to my school address, I couldn’t. I can only ship to my home address, from which I received the card.
  3. #1 becomes more annoying as the money on the card decreases.

So after I bought two books on Amazon.com, I had a little less than $5 left. It just so happened that I found a protein bottle blender for about the same amount but I still needed to pay for shipping.

paypal

Paypal to the rescue
With Paypal, they allow you to use a combination of payment options such as checking account, credit/debit card, and your Paypal balance. This is perfect for spending the full worth of the rebate card. Honestly, everyone would rather have $15 cash than a rebate card. Much like gift cards, it is expected that the consumer will not completely use every penny in it.

Using Paypal, the remaining amounts were paid with my credit card and the Staples Rebate Card is now worth $0.

Photo credit: onlyebay

If you liked this post, please leave a comment, share it, or subscribe to my RSS feed.

6 Comments on this post

Trackbacks

1. Justin "The Night Trader" said:

Good tip! I had a CompUSA card with the same problem a while back. I finally ended up just buying some gum and candy to finish it off it was such a pain. I don’t know how many times I’d try and use it and … d’oh $0.75 over the balance :-( !

December 26th, 2008 at 9:02 pm
  2. Greener Pastures said:

I’ve found PayPal very handy when receiving payments from those purchasing advertising on my blog. It’s so easy to use.

There is the Revolution Exchange as well- PayPal’s latest competition, but other than setting up an account, I haven’t taken the time to explore using it.

December 29th, 2008 at 7:47 am
  3. Alternative Idea said:

I was also at a loss for what to do with prepaid gift cards until I came across this simple idea: buy Amazon.com gift certificates and apply them to your account!

December 29th, 2009 at 3:18 pm
  4. Constance said:

How do you add a rebate card to Paypal?

January 10th, 2010 at 10:31 pm
  5. Simon Zhen said:

If your rebate card is a card much like a credit or debit card, go to Profile -> Add or Edit Credit Card.

And, simply add the card.

January 10th, 2010 at 10:40 pm
  6. Constance said:

I have a Staples Norton Symantec Visa Rebate Card much like the one you mentioned but when I add the card on paypal there’s no balance in my paypal account. Isn’t it because they can’t bill it anywhere?

January 11th, 2010 at 11:36 pm